The purposes of World Listening Day are:
- to celebrate the practice of listening as it relates to the world around us, environmental awareness, and acoustic ecology;
- to raise awareness about issues related to the World Soundscape Project, World Listening Project, World Forum for Acoustic Ecology, and individual and group efforts to creatively explore phonography;
- and to design and implement educational initiatives which explore these concepts and practices.
The World Listening Project invites you to participate in World Listening Day. Here are several possibilities—
- You can set aside some time when you pay attention to your soundscape.
- You can organize a soundwalk or a listening party when people play field recordings.
- You can organize a performance event that involves field recordings and other artistic expressions that explore our soundscape and how we can listen to our sonic environment.
- You can facilitate an educational event that relates to acoustic ecology, field recordings, or a similar topic.
- You can contact organizations or individuals that are listed as participating in World Listening Day, to see if you can get involved that way.